Re: Varieties of 'English'

Subject: Re: Varieties of 'English'
From: John Kohl <sasjqk -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 12:27:54 GMT

Go to amazon.com and search for books by Braj Kachru. Also do a title
search on "World Englishes." One of the "hits" will most likely
contain the information that you are seeking. Dr. Kachru is or was
chair of the Division of English as a Second Language at the U of
Illinois in Champaign-Urbana and is an authority on the topic of
varieties of English.

Regards,

John Kohl

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999 11:38:41 GMT, Peter Jones
<Holtec -at- COMITY -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK> wrote:

>Folks,
>
>There has been some debate about the English Language. It would be very
>helpful to me to know how the English speaking world is divided. That is
>to say what proportion speak American English, Indian English etc.
>
>Does any one know of a resource that lists the number of people speaking
>different languages and the specific variant they speak. I suspect that
>those living in India make up the single largest English language block
>(officially) -- where can I find out?
>
>This knowledge must be essential to document localization and is (yet
>another) hole in my education.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=