Menu Options - The envelope, please...

Subject: Menu Options - The envelope, please...
From: Letty Smith <lsmith -at- CTILIMITED -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:25:13 -0500

I have gotten so many helpful responses to the email I sent asking for
ideas and suggestions on how to tell a manual user to select a particular
menu and option. I thought it would be fun to tally them up for comparison
to see how folks are doing the menu options.

There were seventeen responses. Some people
?voted? twice (e.g.: Well, I
do it this way, but I might also do it that way.) Tallying the results was
highly unscientific, probably inaccurate, and are based on whether I think
the respondant just ?discussed? something, or actually advocated using it.

The clear winner was to write out the instructions, and not to use any
symbol. For future reference, here?s the complete list, with examples.

11 Write it out, don?t use any symbol:
On the File menu, click Open
From the File menu, choose Open
On the File menu, point to Preferences and then click General.
Choose New from the File menu.
From the menu bar, select File and then Save As.
Select [Save As] Option from [File] menu.

1 Write it out and include a snapshot graphic

1 Use a dash and greater than symbol ->
File -> Save As -> Keenfile Graphic

2 Use the greater than symbol >
Select File > Save As > XXX

1 Use a plus sign +
Select File + Save As?

2 The pipe symbol |
File | Save As.

1 Closing guillemots (right angle brackets ? ASCII code 187)

2 It doesn?t matter, as long as you are consistent.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and help!!

Letty Smith