Re: Maintaining a Readme

Subject: Re: Maintaining a Readme
From: John Boland <JohnMethod -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 12:40:09 EDT

Gerry, you write to techwr-l:

<< How do you deal with last minute information that needs to go into a
Readme file [with] InstallShield [, so] if the Readme changes (which it often
does), a new build must be generated (and subsequently tested). >>

I am having my software contractor put the ReadMe.txt, help.chm, sample data,
and tutorial(s) outside the InstallShield "brick", since I "change" or
"improve" these per customer complaints and suggestions.

The unchanging InstallShield script copies these files into the
appropropriate directories.

This somewhat decouples the software development from the documentation and
builds in some flexibility.

CWQ (Call With Questions) or improvements. 8^D

John G. Boland, president
VisiBit Corporation
940.322.9922
940.723.1478 fax