Re: Performant - is it a word

Subject: Re: Performant - is it a word
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 15:23:05 -0400

The First Amendment has nothing to do with this. The First Amendment has
traditionally been upheld by the courts as applying to political speech.
Thus, burning a flag is protected but yelling "fire" in a crowded movie
theatre and lying under oath are not.

I think it bizarre to apply the First Amendment as leverage to declare
sounds you make as bonafide words. I could declare that the sound my cat
makes when coughing-up a furball is a word but the First Amendment would
neither support nor denounce that assertion.

Anyway, I saw an earlier post that said "performant" is Canadian-French. I
have yet to see a definition for this word. Does anyone have a definition
for it?

From a professional standpoint, I find the English language very interesting
for the plethora of new words, some of which come and go with fashion. As a
technical writer, I try to use the clearest and most concise terms that my
audience would understand. For example, I would not use "deuce-and-a-half"
to describe the size of fire hose to those outside the US fire-fighting
industry. Outside the medical industry, I would not use "TIA" to describe a
temporary stroke condition. (You get the idea ;?) If I were using a term
such as "performant," and the term was particularly common only amongst
French Canadians, then I would only use it if French Canadians were my sole
audience (if the French Canadians were a majority of my audience, I could be
persuaded to use the term with an accompanying glossary entry if nothing
better came along).

Stay safe,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

Curiously yours,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

P.S.

>>>The beauty and the mystery of language is that it is dynamic, not
>>>static as most anal-retentive types would have it be.

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment!!!!

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=