Re: What kind of names do you make up?

Subject: Re: What kind of names do you make up?
From: "Parks, Beverly" <ParksB -at- EMH1 -dot- HQISEC -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:43:07 -0700

The only problem I see in using your own name, since you've been told not to
use "real" information, is that you are probably not the only John Posada in
the world. (Unthinkable, I know!) So even using your name knowingly, you are
still probably using someone elses "real" name.

What I've done in the past for fake names (and it's kinda fun) is to pick a
theme, such as animals or cities, and construct the names around the theme.
Sure, some of the names will turn out to be real names, but since all the
names follow a theme it becomes obvious that "any resemblence to actual
places or names is coincidental."

The scheme I'd use for cities might be something like

Andrew Anchorage
Barbara Baltimore
Charles Cleveland
Diane Dallas
etc.

The doubling of the initials just reinforces the fact that the names are
ficticious.

Bev Parks

[snip]
> I've been told not to use "real" information, so for
> the purposes of this manual, we've made up a fictitous
> country, address, etc. Well, we want to include a
> fictitous set of contacts. (name, title, phone#, fax#,
> email address, etc.)
>
> Now...I could use the universally-know "John Smith at
> 123 Main St.", or I could use...something else. ;-)
>
> The question: have you, as the writer, ever used your
> own name as the contact? It sure would eliminate the
> problem we all have when showing our portfolios in
> interviews.
[snip]

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=