Errata for procedures

Subject: Errata for procedures
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- XCERT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:12:57 -0700

Hi folks,

A quick question regarding "documentation errata"
produced after a document has been published:

We just finished a software release for a product that
has very complicated installation instructions.

I just found out that one set of procedures for Unix users
is incomplete. The print document is being trimmed
as I type. The deadline for changes to the PDF was two
days ago. That means we have to produce an "errata"
notice.

In that errata notice, would you:

(a) Reprint the installation instructions for that section
(about one page of information), including the new steps,
thereby allowing the user to simply "replace" the old
section with the new one.

or

(b) Identify the section and say something like "The
installation instructions in this section are incomplete.
After you have completed steps 1 to 4, you must..."

If any of you have dealt with errata notices before, what
works best (causes the least confusion)?

Thanks, Rowena

Rowena Hart Technical Writer

Xcert International Inc.
1001-701 West Georgia Street Phone: 1 (604) 640-6210
Vancouver, BC, Canada V7Y 1C6 Fax: 1 (604) 640-6220
Web: http://www.xcert.com E-mail: rhart -at- xcert -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=