Vanilla Names

Subject: Vanilla Names
From: Philomena Hoopes <PHILA -at- MAIL -dot- VIPS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:58:04 -0400

Merging the threads of discrimination and names...

Several employers ago, I attempted to give my documentation a multicultural
flavor by including a range of names from various ethnic backgrounds --
Russian, African, French, Chinese, etc. I was told that this was not
acceptable; sample data should be "average". According to management,
"Noticeable names don't have enough verisimilitude".

This, from a British-owned company in the early 90's. Oy...

Philomena Hoopes
Phila -at- vips -dot- com <mailto:Phila -at- vips -dot- com>
VIPS Healthcare Information Solutions, Inc.
(410) 832-8330 ext 845

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=