Re: Doc Versions

Subject: Re: Doc Versions
From: "Mason, Catheryn" <CMason -at- INFINITEC-COM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:33:08 -0500

On June 7th J. Fraser posted:
I've been asked to devise a version numbering scheme for our
documents (user manuals, design docs, specs, requirements, etc.). I'm
curious to know how you set up your version numbering.

Hi J. Fraser:
I am late on this, and you may have already gotten all of the help that you
need. Thought I'd just pass along my experience for what it's worth to you.
I also had to establish a document numbering scheme for tracking and
control. I looked at all of the types of documents that we'd be producing,
and found in our case three main types -- manuals, data sheets, and
application notes. I allocated part of the alpha-numbering scheme to reflect
the document type (ML, DS, AP). I then decided to follow that with a base
document number (in a simple sequential format -- the first manual I
produced became ML-001, to allow for growth up to 999). I then decided to
indicate version with a decimal number (ML-001.1 represents the first
revision to ML-001). This document control number is on every page of every
document that goes out to the user -- that way, if a help call comes in, the
user can be directed to look at the header of the page and read off the
document number, and the help desk will know if the caller is using current
documentation. I've added other types of documents to this scheme as
necessary -- brochures are BR-###, field service bulletins are FSB-###. For
my own internal use only, I also tack on a letter to the end of a version to
indicate the sort of revision that has taken place (A, B, or C levels -- A
being typos or small text or graphic changes, C being major changes
necessitating a redistribution to the field). This system has worked well
for me so far.

Catheryn Mason, Technical Writer
Infinitec Communications
cmason -at- infinitec-com -dot- com
(918) 481-5300 x280
fax: (918) 877-4007
Winner, 1999 IABC Bronze Quill Award of Excellence for Technical Writing

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=