Re: Compensation question

Subject: Re: Compensation question
From: Nora Merhar <nmerhar -at- CHARLESINDUSTRIES -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 14:14:47 -0500

And despite what you'd think, in the Chicago area I'd expect it to be closer to
$40K and realistically more like $36-$40K--even in the city. That's why I said
that if she's getting offered $50K, I'd take it quick.

My experience is limited, though.

Nora
Senior Technical Writer, Charles Industries, Ltd.
nmerhar -at- charlesindustries -dot- com

Rebecca Merck wrote:

> According to the STC Salary Survey, it looks like with 3 years experience
> and non-managerial, she should be expecting between $40-42K (average) up to
> $46-48K (at 75 percentile level). The top 10% of the field at those
> experience and professional levels only around $55K, and my bet is that what
> differentiates that top 10% is expanded technical skills or strong
> specialization. (Note -- that's the top 10% in non-managerial roles.)
>
> To get that high a salary, she's really got to be prepared to take on
> additional responsibility through management, etc., or she has to have some
> specialized skills to bring the table. I cannot imagine paying someone $65K
> to document user interfaces on relatively non-complex systems like payroll
> systems. I *could* see a salary at that level for taking personal
> responsibility for the success of a documentation project, though -- she'd
> have to be ready for it to potentially infringe on the rest of her life,
> though.
>
> I, too, am curious to know why the magic number is $65K....
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=