Re: Quark Express and FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Quark Express and FrameMaker
From: David Cramer <dacramer -at- VIDEON -dot- WAVE -dot- CA>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 14:35:39 -0500

Although it's not included in the original question, let's not ignore the
imminent release of Adobe's InDesign, dubbed their "Quark Killer". Many
reports highlight its potential to replace XPress for the kinds of work
that marketing designers need to do.

I would also concur that XPress is *totally* unusable for technical
reference manuals; and that FrameMaker is missing some sophisticated
high-res graphics and color features characteristic of high-end marketing
materials. The ideal plan would be to use XPress/InDesign for marketing and
FrameMaker for tech docs.

My experience includes living, breathing, using and training on all of the
following: PageMaker from its introduction through version 6.5, Ventura for
several versions ending with 4.x, XPress versions 3.x, and FrameMaker
versions 3 through 5.5.6. Not to mention numerous word processing programs.
And all under one or more platforms, i.e., Windows, DOS, and/or Mac
operating systems.

Regards,

David

>Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:31:32 -0400
>From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
>Subject: Re: Quark Express and FrameMaker
>
>The graphics designer should want Quark Express. No surprise there <VBG>.
>
>If you have a high-color marketing piece, newsletter, or small booklet,
>consider Quark very carefully.
>
>If you have a greyscale, technical or other document that is long, uses
>cross-references and lists (TOC, index, etc.), with many graphics, there is
>no choice but FrameMaker.
>
>Good luck.
>
>Sean
>sean -at- quodata -dot- com

David Cramer, Process Innovation Evangelist 87-1313 Border Street
PBSC Computer Training Centres (an IBM company) Winnipeg MB R3H 0X4
Corporate Office Research & Development Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=