Re: Writing Technical Specifications

Subject: Re: Writing Technical Specifications
From: Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- CHISP -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 13:36:29 -0600

Shannon Kelly wrote:

>Ten years ago, on a contract for the Government, I wrote (using Yourdon's
>structured methodology) functional specifications and detailed design
>documents.
>
>In the intervening years, I have written user's manuals, quick-starts, Web
>content, etc., but now again, I find myself commissioned to write (for
>developers) software specification documents.
>
>Help! Is Yourdon still the guru? Any good resources or sites or anything
>anybody out there could recommend?

Well, right now I'm doing my Sunday afternoon "fun" work: answering
project-specific questions about how to write specifications on my book's
web page. My book (links in .sig below) has some techniques for keeping a
requirements document focused on the customer's world while providing the
information that developers need to design both the interfaces and the
program. The web site for posting questions is open to everyone whether
they've bought the book or not. The URL is
http://www.spindoczine.com/psr/forum.html . Feel free to post something
about your project, and I might be able to suggest a plan of attack.

--
Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- chisp -dot- net>
Author, _Practical Software Requirements: A Manual of Content & Style_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=