"Use" (Was: "Ability" etc.)

Subject: "Use" (Was: "Ability" etc.)
From: Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- CHISP -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 12:08:39 -0600

John Posada wrote:

>And the winner is:
>
>"Use this selection to define the countries that you
>operate in. "

Oh no! "Use" is one of the vaguest words there is. A huge amount of
technical writing could be improved just by searching for "use" and
replacing it with something more specific. I don't know what it means to
"use a selection". I know what it means to "click a button", though.

See also http://www.manning.com/Kovitz/Chapter15.html#use

--
Ben Kovitz <apteryx -at- chisp -dot- net>
Author, _Practical Software Requirements: A Manual of Content & Style_

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=