Re: viewing a post script file - Distiller tangent

Subject: Re: viewing a post script file - Distiller tangent
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:14:23 -0500

At 03:49 PM 6/23/99 -0500, Backer, Corinne wrote:

>I next went to www.adobe.com, but I could not find any satisfaction on

>the
>Adobe website. Distiller is not mentioned anywhere in the Acrobat
>section
>(and I looked forever!), so I called Adobe Customer Service and told
>them I
>wanted to buy just Distiller, and they told me I couldn't--that I have

>buy Acrobat in general, which is 250 a pop (which is why I wanted
>distiller
>stand-alone).

That's one of the many reasons I dislike Adobe. Acrobat is way
overpriced for what it is. Which is why I recommended looking for a
copy on eBay.

>So, a couple questions:
>1. Is the Adobe guy out of his head? Or have they perhaps changed the
>configuration of products?

No. People often refer to just Distiller when they mean the Acrobat
package -- and Adobe packages it confusingly, which doesn't help.

>2. We use FrameMaker for doc creation--can I avoid all this with
direct
>.pdf functionality in Frame? How?

If you have a legitimate copy of the current version of Frame, your
problems are solved, because the essentials of the Acrobat package are
included with Frame, just as it is with PageMaker. Put the Frame
CD-ROM in its drive, and when it asks you what you want to install,
select "Acrobat." It's not just the reader, it's the whole thing.
(Just to make life confusing, my copy of FrameMaker came with a
_separate_ disk with just the Acrobat Reader on it. I have no idea
why.)

--
"UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are."
Beth Friedman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=