Re: Do users actually read READ.ME files?

Subject: Re: Do users actually read READ.ME files?
From: "Bolce-Gormley, Caroline" <Cbolcego -at- USA -dot- CAPGEMINI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:47:38 -0500

I don't have any current figures, but I know that there used to be industry
studies of the relationship between the number of tech support calls and the
distribution of document updates. For example, when documentation is created
or updated for an existing system, some studies show an immediate increase
in tech support calls as the users learn about new functions that they never
knew existed. After the initial experimentation, the overall number of calls
subside significantly, so that the cost-effectiveness of the documentation
effort is normally proven.

Caroline Bolce-Gormley
Principal Consultant, Houston Unit
Cap Gemini America
Cbolcego -at- usa -dot- capgemini -dot- com <mailto:Cbolcego -at- usa -dot- capgemini -dot- com>
713-307-8815 direct (this week)
713-307-8313 voicemail only
713-398-6146 mobile
713-682-4726 home