Acrobat 4.0 PDFs not backwards-compatible with Reader 3.1????

Subject: Acrobat 4.0 PDFs not backwards-compatible with Reader 3.1????
From: Randy <ghost -at- WESTNET -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 23:45:05 -0400

Has anyone run into this problem?

I've just started working with Adobe Acrobat 4.0, that is, the full
suite of applications. I've created some PDF files of Word documents
which include some screen shots. I've set the ,Distiller job options to
produce PDFs which are supposedly compatible with version 3.0 of the
Reader, but the screen shots end up looking awful when viewed in that
version of the reader. Whereas they look fine in version 4.0 of the
reader.

I know Adobe keeps wanting to push the latest and greatest, especially
since the reader is free ... but this really smells like a bug. There is
nothing in their documentation about it nor in the third-party manuals
I've looked at.

Comments, suggestions? Feel free to e-mail me directly as well as post.
I'm on a critical client deadline and would like to deliver something
decent *and* compatible with version 3.0 oaf the reader, since I think
most people still have that, not 4.0.

Randy Burgess
ghost -at- westnet -dot- com
Ghost Associates
Techwriting, ghostwriting, business writing