Re: Appendix within a chapter.

Subject: Re: Appendix within a chapter.
From: Hal Wrobel <hal -at- TECNOMATIX -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:10:25 +0200

Dear John (Why does that opening bother me?),

Your description reminds me of PDM software I documented that could be
installed on various operating systems and had to work in conjunction
with a database application. Installation and configuration procedures
differed depending on the clients' operating system and which of the
major database programs they was working with.

In our case all the variant information was organized by OS with the db
programs as subheads in the conventionally located appendices at the
back of the book. After reading your post however, it occurred to how
often as a user I've heard the inner voice of my indolent gut whining,
"Whoa, the appendix is such a long way off, and all those pages between
there and where I'll have to keep my place, and...." In short, I think
that under these kind of special documentation circumstances, your idea
of a mini appendix at the end of each chapter is brilliant. If I were
the user, I'd appreciate it.

This may put you up there with the inventors of air conditioning and
Saran wrap.

Hal

Hal Wrobel, technical writer
Tecnomatix Technologies Ltd.
Delta House, 16 Hagalim Avenue Tel: 972-9-959-4953
Herzeliya 46733, Israel fax: 972-9-954-4402
mailto:hal -at- tecnomatix -dot- com
If a man speaks in a forest, and his wife is not there,
is he still wrong?

--

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=