Re: Grammar Books

Subject: Re: Grammar Books
From: "Allison, Nancy" <Nancy -dot- Allison -at- TFN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:26:00 -0400

I recommend the two Grammar Workbooks by Allen Kent Dart, published by
Prentice-Hall. I used the first editions of these books to teach English as
a Second Language some years ago. They are explicit reviews of every aspect
of English grammar. They are excellent. I never really knew English grammar
until I taught from these.

"The Elements of Style" is a fine book for issues of style. It is not a
comprehensive grammar book, however. For a strong foundation in the
mechanics of English (what's a past unreal conditional clause? What's a
relative clause functioning as an adjective? etc., etc.) get Dart's books. I
just checked Amazon.com, and they are available.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=