Re: Reprinting a manual before new software version

Subject: Re: Reprinting a manual before new software version
From: Ginna Dowler <gdowler -at- QUESTERCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:28:44 -0700

Darren Barefoot wrote:

> 1. Do nothing. Users who compare old manuals and new manuals can be
> confused.
This is probably not good if the same organization is buying new or
extra versions of your software.

> 2. Include a one page insert describing the changes, and then hope it gets
> lost so users with the old manuals don't necessarily clue-in that they've
> got out-of-date docs.
> 3. Include "change bars" along the top or sides of new sections, thus
> advertising that the manual has changed.
> 4. Something else entirely.

Here's what we did when faced with the same situation: We created a
little marketing letter which explained what the changes were in the
manual. We offered to send out replacement manuals for previously
purchased software for a nominal fee. (I forget how much.) We also
shipped a PDF file of the complete "updated" manual on the CD with the
software - difficult for you since the software is already released. (We
burn ours ourselves, so we can change them at any time.) Could you make
a PDF available on your web site? On a separate CD or floppy? I would
definitely make the new information available to all customers - not
just the new ones.

--
Ginna Dowler - Technical Writer

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=