Re: Editor Please....

Subject: Re: Editor Please....
From: Aoidìn Scully <ascully -at- FLEXICOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:34:38 +0100

This is another one of those cultural things...

In Ireland (and I presume Britain) the 'correct' method of writing the
sentence would be:

The girl said "Argghh!". The full stop relates to the whole sentence and
not just to the word inside the quotes, therefore it should be outside.

So the 'convention' referred to is only convention in certain areas. If
you presented the sentence to me as was, i.e. >The girl said "Arrgh.", I
would mark it incorrect.

But, as I say, it's a cultural thing.

Aoidin