Re: Reprinting a manual before new software version

Subject: Re: Reprinting a manual before new software version
From: Donald Le Vie <dlevie -at- VLINE -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:05:03 -0500

I totally agree with Rowena's solution and comments. Back when I was info.
dev. project manager for a division of a large microprocessor mfg.,
documentation changes went out as addendums and technical supplements, but
the rev. number did not change. If the product functionality changed by less
than 10%, we issued product addendums and technical supplements, and
incremented the version number by .1. If the product functionality changed
by more than 10%, we issued new user documentation to the web first, and
incremented the rev. number by one whole number digit. So, if a manual had
two small (<10%) functionality revisions over time, and then a major (>10%)
change (say, going from v1.2 to 2.0), everyone understood the significance
behind the version changes. Products in the same family that had
functionality changes of approximately 30% or more were simply given a new
product name/nomenclature. For example, the BFD4300 microprocessor family
might contain two products: A BFD4320 and a BFD4340, where the underlying
architecture of the BFD4340 is the same as the BFD4320, but the
functionality difference was >30%.

I doubt you'll get responses that agree with NOT changing the revision
nomenclature somehow...perhaps you need to "re-educate"
marketeers/managers...

Donn Le Vie
Integrated Concepts, Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=