PostScript woes

Subject: PostScript woes
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:05:53 -0500

I've been having trouble generating PostScript code, and I'm wondering if
the problem is the printer driver, or something else.

1. When I want to create a PostScript version of a Word 97 file, I print to
file using the HP LaserJet PS version 4.00 printer driver.

2. This creates a .prn file, but if I change the extension to .ps, GSView
can read it as a PostScript file. But -- GSView doesn't seem to understand
that it's a portrait document on 8.5x11 paper. It opens it as a landscape
document on legal or A4 paper. Also, it says the ordering of the pages is
"special" and unreliable.

3. When I use Acrobat Distiller to turn this PS file into a PDF, it seems
to lose the font information. It uses the generic font (for display and
printing), instead of the font that I put the paper in. At first, I
thought that might be because I was using a TrueType font (Century
Schoolbook). But when I changed the font to be a PS font,
NewCenturySchlbk, I had the identical problem. And in any case, I prefer
to use TrueType fonts for these papers, because the people I share them
with don't have PS printers.

4. If I bypass the Distiller and use the PDFWriter to generate the PDF
file, none of the font problems show up. It displays and prints the file
just as it looked in the Word file.

Do I have one problem or two problems (or more), and does anyone have any
suggestions as to what to do about them?

--
"UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are."
Beth Friedman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=