Re: The telecommuting myth

Subject: Re: The telecommuting myth
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- SIMPLYWRITTEN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 10:52:51 -0500

I definitely think so. Contractors/consultants are often expected to provide
their own equipment and areas, while staffers ("captives") are absorbed into
the corporate body, as are some contractors. And independents are usually
inured to the downsides of working at home.

My experience has been that telecommuting is an ideal that nobody
approaches. I'd be suspicious of an employee who just wanted to telecommute,
to be candid. Part of the fun of working for a company is the camaraderie
and spark. Working at home is only half fulfilling, in my view. Being an
employee should mean more than a mechanical duty; it should involve
interaction.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar Method(TM)
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
http://www.simplywritten.com

>Perhaps telecommuting is just more common for consultants than for
contractors and staffers.

>--David

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=