The telecommuting myth

Subject: The telecommuting myth
From: ":--)" <elblase -at- ZAMIR -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 02:40:57 +0200

Diane Haugen wrote (Tue 06/07/99 2:24):

_What telecommuting really means is working for yourself and I don't see
_a lot of difference in it than in doing contract work, except you're doing
it
_at home. Some people have the ability to manage this well and others do
_not. I would say online communications and the internet have simply
_opened a lot of doors to those of us who really dislike the corporate
_environment.

Having been a contract tech writer for many large corporate IT departments,
I agree with Diane´s comments.

From my experience and those of numerous contract colleagues, there is
no practical difference between telecommuting and contract work. In both
cases the worker - as a consultant - usually enjoys a great deal of
flexibility and latitude in how the writing is to be done, and is usually
constricted only by the software required. Because many IT departments
manage their projects (not all do), my deliverables are due by certain
dates.
Except for the necessary and usual requirement to be at development
meetings, etc., where the writing is done is not important. That the
writing, i.e., reviewable drafts and excellent deliverables for final
reviews and
sign offs, is done on time is all that is required. There are cases where I
have
been able to do all my writing telecommuting. In others I have been
required to do it at the client's site. In these cases it is usually, but
not
always, because the client has been previously burned by an irresponsible
tech writer. Interestingly, I have more and more contracts with corporations
that have not allowed telecommuting in the past that allow me to split my
time between site and telecommunting, due in large measure, because I
ask.

Inhorn Owl

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=