Re: mac conversion

Subject: Re: mac conversion
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:10:08 -0700

Sometimes, as a last resort, you can open the file in
a text editor and look for something familiar in the
header of the file. For example, following is a piece
of code from the header of a GIF graphic:

GIF89a> K

A BMP will have, in the beginning, based on my
experience, BMf

Sometimes you have to translate and sometimes you have
to guess.

And sometimes, it doesn't do any good. :-)

--- Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM> wrote:
> >The problem is that I cannot even read the disk to
> find out what file
> >formats they are in. The graphic artist is off on
> holidays, who knows
> >where, and the disks were dumped on my desk.
>
> As they say... Ooops! ;{>}
>
> I think you're in that place known as "You Can't Get
> There From Here." The
> disks are probably Mac format, and there's not much
> you can do to read them on
> a PC. If they're HD floppies, then there are a
> couple of shareware packages you
> can install to read them. ZIPs are supposed to cross
> platform well, but we've
> had blessed little luck reading Mac ZIPs in PCs (the
> Macs read the PC ZIPs just
> fine, however, so the Mac folks use PC formatted
> ZIPs as the default when the
> documents will be interchanged). I assume this same
> trouble will extend to MO
> or Jaz. If they're CD-ROM, you have an even money
> chance: if they're in ISO
> 9660 format you can read them, if in HFS, probably
> not.
>
> Even given the fact you could read them, without
> some forethought on the part
> of the artist (possible, but, given Murphy, not
> probable) you won't know what
> format they're in.
>
> Some advice: Wander past the artist's area, scanning
> for software boxes. This
> will at least narrow the field for you. Odds are
> you'll see Illustrator or
> Freehand. If Illustrator, then it's probable they
> are in a flavor of EPS that
> Word can handle. Perhaps someone else in the area
> can help you get the files
> off the Mac disks and onto PC's (using their Mac or
> the artist's Mac, you can
> upload them to the network or copy them onto
> PC-formatted floppies). If you
> can, look at the file icons (on the Mac) before the
> transfer as that can
> sometimes give you the format information. Also,
> click once on the file, go to
> the File menu and pull down "Get Info" and that
> might also give you some
> information about the file format.
>
> You don't mention which version of Word you're
> wanting to insert them into.
> 6.0c is the earliest version that will read most Mac
> formats. As has been
> noted, EPS is the same on both platforms, but
> neither platform reads the
> other's preview image.
>
> Have fun,
> Arlen
> Chief Managing Director In Charge, Department of
> Redundancy Department
> DNRC 224
>
> Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- Com
> In God we trust; all others must provide data.
> Opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.
> If JCI had an opinion on this, they'd hire someone
> else to deliver it.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=
> Send "chat" messages offline--not to the
> whole list!
> Send commands to listserv -at- listserv -dot- okstate -dot- edu
> (e.g., SIGNOFF TECHWR-L)
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/archives.htm
> Find contractor info at
> http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/contractors.htm
> Send all list-related questions or problems to

===
John Posada
Western Union International
(w) jposada -at- westernunion -dot- com