Re: The telecommuting myth

Subject: Re: The telecommuting myth
From: Sarah Stegall <stegall -at- TERAYON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:31:23 -0700

Several people have noted that "large companies", however that is
defined, are more likely to allow you to telecommute. I find, at least
here in Silicon Valley, that the more disorganized and anarchic a
company's organization is, the more likely they are to want you onsite
all the time. This makes sense from their point of view, since in such
chaos decisions are frequently made at the last minute and changed
often, a situation not conducive to long-distance collaboration. I'd
advise people to get a feel for a company's organizational structure
before asking for telecommuting arrangements. Culture is everything in
these situations.

Sarah Stegall Senior Technical Writer
stegall -at- terayon -dot- com Terayon Communication Systems

"I love being a writer, what I can't stand is the paperwork."
-- Peter DeVries

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=