(Fwd) Re: Hyphenation

Subject: (Fwd) Re: Hyphenation
From: Dianne <DianneP -at- PITNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 11:32:11 -0500

on-line vs online and off-line vs offline
sub-system vs subsystem
pull-down menu vs pulldown menu

Again, this seems to be a matter of convention. Within the
computer industry, these words usually are written without
hyphenation. Every Internet, computer and telecom dictionary I own
leaves the hyphens out of these words. However, my "regular"
dictionaries hyphenate online and offline; I didn't check the other
words.

I would go with what is convention within the industry, not
necessarily what's in a regular dictionary.

Dianne

diannep -at- pitnet -dot- net

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=