Re: "Licensing" for a contract writer

Subject: Re: "Licensing" for a contract writer
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- HOME -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:46:53 -0400

Most off-the-shelf programs are licensed for use on only one computer at
a time. There seems to be a lot of confusion on this point. Based upon
my conversations with various software vendors and my understanding of
the license agreements, they can make you to have a the program loaded
on only one machine. The term "loaded" usually means loaded into memory.
It does not mean loaded on the hard drive. However, licensing terms may
vary. What programs were on the computer temporarily vacated by a
vacationing programer? The key is that software programs are licensed to
to a computer, not to any person. The concept is the same as if you were
to purchase a new computer. Clearly that would not mean that you have to
purchase additional copies of all of your programs. I hope I have made
this clear.

HTH

Peter

joe malone wrote:

> I use FrameMaker, Quadralay Publisher, Snagit, Photoshop, Visio, and
> Word, plus a few other programs from time to time, as a technical
> writer.
>
> Now I need to bring a contract writer on for 40 or 80 hours, say, to sit
> at some temporary computer, such as one left open by a vacationing
> programmer, to help out on a project.
>
> My manager asks, are all the software products above licensed for use by
> this second person? Well, hmmm, I never considered this before: just
> have had somebody in to do a little work, and leave. Do I need to
> contact each of these software folks (actually, most of the programs are
> off the shelf) and get a second copy or license, or what?
>
> The rules are probably spelled out in all that text at the beginning of
> the installation wizards, but i confess I've never read it...
>
> I have fired off messages to tech support at quadralay and adobe...
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=