Re: The Telecommuting Myth and ignorant remarks

Subject: Re: The Telecommuting Myth and ignorant remarks
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:22:19 -0400

Tim Altom wrote:

<heavily sniped>

They room together, practice
> together, eat together, and fight together, to become a team. It's like
> being in a tight, supportive family, a family in which the shared family
> values are more important than any momentary purchase or problem. And
> they're not brainwashed into it. They delight in being a Notre Dame player.
> See the movie "Rudie" for an example.
>
> There's no way a bunch of isolated players could be brought together
> occasionally and expect to field such a pile-driver team.

I wonder if I'm supposed to feel inadequate in my career - I cannot and will
not even come close to offering this to another company. After years of being
part of a "team" at Xerox, and putting my marriage and family in jeopardy by
never being home, I have learned (as other have already expressed) that I need
to work to live, not live to work. After all, when the company needed to
downsize and move people around, it all came down to business. I have a family,
and my commitment is to them first and foremost - to the exclusion of almost
everything else.

> I'm sure you and many others have contributed significantly to many projects
> over the years. I'm not talking about projects, my friend. I'm speaking of
> the environment within which projects live. Certainly just working in an
> office doesn't mean that the environment is visionary. Most offices, most
> companies, aren't visionary. What I'm saying is that while being onsite
> doesn't guarantee a shared vision, being remote almost guarantees that you
> won't have it.

If part of this vision includes eating and sleeping with the "team" - I'll pass
:-).

In my opinion it only takes one or two people to have a vision - then they need
experts to help carry it out. The experts don't have to be the ones with the
vision, just the ability to make it happen.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree
But Please - Don't Flame Me.

Work is a fine thing --
If it doesn't take too much of your spare time.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=