TOOLS: Getting those tricky screenshots and more

Subject: TOOLS: Getting those tricky screenshots and more
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:56:02 -0600

Gang,

One of the occasionally recurring threads on this list
gets into how to get screenshots of stuff like
Windows NT installation, system bootup, and other
pre-OS-load events. Well, I've found a solution.

Check out VMWare (www.vmware.com) -- it lets you
have "virtual machines" running under Linux
or Windows NT, and these machines boot, load,
and run just like the real thing (well, they
are the real thing, to a large extent).
Additionally, the hardware requirements aren't
too bad, considering.

Among many interesting applications I've found
are
* testing Web pages in multiple versions of IE.
You can have multiple Windows virtual
machines, each with a different IE,
without installing or reinstalling, or
having multiple physical boxes.
* bootup screenshots
* permanently "clean" systems--you can opt not
to save any changes you make, so you
always have a "clean" system for testing.

No connection with the company--just an impressed user.

Eric

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com
UNIX Visual QuickStart Guide ... "a superb book!"
Find out more at http://www.raycomm.com/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=