Re: Do users really like the format of HTML Help/Webhelp?

Subject: Re: Do users really like the format of HTML Help/Webhelp?
From: William Swallow <WSWALLOW -at- COMMSOFT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 09:20:26 -0400

> >Personally, I'm not all that crazy about this >two-pane format either. It
> really reduces the >amount of space you have for the info. But >evidently
> that's the direction help is going >in.
>
> I agree this format has weaknesses, including the window's having a
> limited
> amount of space for help content.
[Bill says:] How much space do you need for Help content. You can
only write so much HLPful info on a topic before you start defeating the
purpose of Help... quick reference to get the job done.

> Personally, I have also considered ways to
> design a more appealing and accessible help system, with bells and
> whistles.
> However, being a user who frequently relies on help systems, I argue that
> if
> you stick to a standardly formatted help system (such as HTML Help or
> Webhelp), your users will benefit more than they would if you added bells
> and whistles--at least in this era of help systems.
[Bill says:] Sure. Why introduce something new when what's out
there works? Of course there are times and situations that warrant a new
approach to an old medium. But once you really think about the purpose of
Help you begin to realize that new bells and whistles ar nothing more than
noisemakers. Information is key; anything else, unless integrated with the
information in a smart way, is fluff.

Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
Billing Concepts
Albany NY
(518) 433-7698
mailto:william -dot- swallow -at- billingconcepts -dot- com
http://www.billingconcepts.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=