Re: Desperately seeking employment...

Subject: Re: Desperately seeking employment...
From: CarolAnn Hilton <Carolann -dot- Hilton -at- TRW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:07:49 -0700

I made the switch one year ago from working as a fund raiser to working as a technical writer (after being laid off three times in six years by small, struggling nonprofits). Like you, I was concerned about my lack of technical experience. After all, at some of the non-profits for which I worked we thought we were lucky to get donated 386s companies were giving away. I found a way to market myself that I thought I'd share.

In all my fund raising jobs I had extensive writing experience: proposals (some highly technical if you're going after federal grants), direct mail packages, brochures, press releases, alumni magazines, etc. What really helped me in making the career switch was packaging.

I took my best writing samples and, using a WordPerfect template, formatted them into an 8-page newsletter. A sidebar on one page included a brief bio. Then I went to Kinko's, had it reproduced on 11"x17" (newsletter-sized) paper, and folded it myself. I mailed it out with every resume I sent.

I know it got me interviews that I would not have gotten based solely on my resume. Interviewers told me that the newsletter showed them I had enough technical skills to make something look good and was willing to work hard to get things done (retyping all those samples, trust me, was not my idea of a good time). So, if you have good writing samples (even the kinds of things others have mentioned that you could acquire through volunteer work), make them work for you in the best possible way. And, don't despair. As someone who, thanks to the aforementioned lay-offs, has done more job hunting than I ever thought possible, I can tell you that something will come along.

Carol Ann Hilton
Techncial Writer/Editor
TRW Systems & Information Technology Group

>>> Beth Davy <bethdavy -at- CANADA -dot- COM> 07/13 4:18 PM >>>
hi,
i am going through the exciting process that is job-searching, but here
is
my prob:
i just graduated with a BA in english and worked last summer at a
software
company doing some tech writing and online help (robohelp) but that is
really only 4 months experience.
i have combed the job search websites and sent off resumes and applied
recruiting places and i consistently get the response that they "are
looking for someone with more experience. specifically, 3-5 years more
experience." <insert appropriate frustrated shreik>
so, any suggestions on how to get said experience, or alternatively, are
there any companies out there who will take a chance on fresh new talent
<g>? any general suggestions on how to go about the fun and excitement
that is looking for a job?

about to throw my hands up in despair and return to the restaurants
which
house so many humanities grads...

beth

bethdavy -at- canada -dot- com