Re: Mac or PC?

Subject: Re: Mac or PC?
From: Elizabeth Ross <beth -at- VCUBED -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:49:43 -0400

Anne asks:
| I am new to the list and have a new interest in technical writing. I am in
| need of a new computer and can, luckily, feel at home on both Macintosh
and
| PC computers. Could some one tell me which is preferred in the technical
| writing field? Or does it even matter?

I've seen both platforms used. A lot depends on what kind of documentation
you are going to be producing. My preference is for Mac because of it's ease
in interfacing with my print house. For documentation that will be PDF or
online, it does not matter so much. For help systems, it depends on who your
audience will be. For more technical docs, most engineers use PCs, so it is
important that you be able to share files with them.

I think software is more critical than which platform. Framemaker,
Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, Pagemaker, and Quark all exist in PC and
Mac versions and are pretty much cross-platform compatible. My
recommendation to you is to become familiar with the software on whichever
platform you prefer. Being able to list both PC & Mac on your resume is
always a plus.

Elizabeth Ross
Technical Writer
V3 Semiconductor Corp.