Re: Definition of COTS Documentation

Subject: Re: Definition of COTS Documentation
From: Cam Whetstone <camw -at- ROCKETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:50:21 -0700

Kate;

The United States Air Force has a specification that defines COTS
manuals and what they are supposed to contain. It also tells what to
do if they do not contain the required information.In a commercial
environment, it usually means what the company wants it to mean.
Usually they will request a quote for 'COTS'manuals hoping your
definition and theirs is different and that they can get you to agree
to their definition later at no extra cost.

In proposing a system/whatever with COTS documentation, the proposer
should define what will be supplied--the existing doumentation with no
changes at all. Any changes will be grounds to renegotiate the line
item in the CDRL. But it all boils down to who is defining COTS, and
what ax they have to grind at the time.

Cam Whetstone

---Kate Skilton <KNSkilt -at- ACCUSORT -dot- COM> wrote:

> Hello All -
>
> I was wondering if anyone out there knew if there was any kind of a
> standard set up defining what exactly is contained in COTS
> documentation. Or, is it merely a term used by a company to state what
> is considered standard for them?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Kate Skilton
> Engineering Technical Writer