Re: Who's Job is it to Layout a Book?

Subject: Re: Who's Job is it to Layout a Book?
From: Jim Grey <mobilene -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:33:42 -0400

After I said I wouldn't mind hiring a book designer, Ginna Dowler writ:
>>If what you mean by design is "full template in Frame (or Word etc.)", then
I agree with you. BUT I've been in a situation in my last company where they
hired a graphic designer to come up with new designs for everything we did
that was printed. They looked great in the samples he gave us, but they were
all mock-ups in Illustrator -- not templates. I then had to take his design
and try to use it. I spent weeks trying to replicate his complex page layout
in Frame in a way I could actually use.<<

When I worked briefly in publishing, the Production department's book
designers were not only responsible for design, but for creating the PageMaker
templates the layout techs would use for layout. It worked very well. If I
were to hire a book designer, I would expect him/her to deliver templates.

I also need someone who can design online Help, too. Again, I'd expect the
designer to deliver .hpjs and robohelp.dots, which means the designer would
need skills in RoboHELP (our tool). My gut check is that I won't find that.

Peace,
jim
===
jim grey / mobilene -at- yahoo -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=