Re: What does a window do???

Subject: Re: What does a window do???
From: Beth Mason <beth -dot- mason -at- MANTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 09:45:10 -0400

I usually use "The window appears" or "The window displays the information [or some other object]". To use "displays" as an intransitive verb is just plain wrong and leads to much weeping and gnashing of teeth among those who care.

I also see nothing wrong with "The window opens" as someone else suggested. But "The window reveals"--wihout an object? Same problem as "The window displays"--you're trying to use a transitive verb as an intransitive. Of course, you could always say, "The window reveals itself," but somehow that sounds a little suggestive. :-)

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Beth Champion Mason
Senior Technical Writer/Editor
ManTech Systems Solutions Corp.
(757) 938-9377

>>> Adria Quinones <adriaq -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET> 07/14 7:31 PM >>>
"The window appears ..." always makes me think it should be followed by "in a
puff of smoke," or something like that.

Something is displayed in a window. You can cause something to be displayed by
performing some action, but I'm not sure that a window itself displays
anything. I like "The window reveals," but perhaps not in a serious document.

Adria Quinones

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000