Re: Senior Tech Writers Needed in San Ramon, CA.

Subject: Re: Senior Tech Writers Needed in San Ramon, CA.
From: "Bauman, R. Scott (C)" <R_Scott_Bauman -at- FMGC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 11:56:02 -0400

I am in the final stages of my Ph.D. in English, and have been teaching
Freshman Composition for over seven years. I am also working for the summer
rewriting the garbage that some business major wrote--over 1300 pages of it.
In a perfect world, techies and MBAs would have writing skills, but most
people put little to no emphasis on them, to the point of getting bent out
of shape when their writing is criticized, as the current uproar about an
English degree demonstrates. It sounds to me like the fault is in the
communication between the tech side and the writing side. A good writer,
given the proper information, can write about anything--if your employer
wanted a user guide that followed workflow, the writer should have been
given a workflow, or at least training on the software, and he probably
didn't.

Check the stats: English and Liberal Arts majors are highly employable,
because they've learned to think rather than been trained in a certain
technology or field.

Scott Bauman