"Guided Tour" - Preferred tool?

Subject: "Guided Tour" - Preferred tool?
From: joe malone <joe -at- MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 13:46:49 -0700

I do our manuals in Frame, for increasingly unwanted hardcopy manuals,
then convert with Quadralay to online help, clunky Java version (our
product is browser-based).

But, uh oh, our new splash screen, displayed after installation, asks
the user if he or she wants a "quick tour" before using the product.
This would be browser-based.

Those who decided we needed this assumed that I could just write a
tutorial. These days, however, guided tours online are a lot more than
simple text.

Fortunately, a fellow in Marketing is doing a sort of online tour for
the potential customer, so I have someone to talk to. He's using a
mac-based web page tool.

Any suggestions on how to get started? Hire a consultant? Take a class?
Just take a guided tour or two for other products? Buy some must-have
software?

Any help appreciated. Seems like it's not just about writing manuals
anymore...

joe -at- manage -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=