Re: As an employer... (job requirements)

Subject: Re: As an employer... (job requirements)
From: Cam Whetstone <camw -at- ROCKETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 03:14:35 -0700

---Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- YAHOO -dot- COM> wrote:

> Many companies use degree requirements because it filters out drek.
> However, in reality, nobody gives a damn what certificates you have
> on your wall as long as you sell yourself and skills well.

Andrew;

I totally agree with you, however while it does eliminate some drek,
it can also eliminate the perfect candidate for the position. In most
cases this will not matter. Most of the software writing jobs don't
need that much technical background. I learned electronics from the
USAF and the industry. I have worked with degreed engineers that
didn't have a clue--doesn't mean all degreed engineers are clueless,
but if you only consider degreed engineers you can still get (your
word) drek.

It takes knowing the job to interview the candidates. If you don't
know the job, hire someone who does. You are better hiring a
contractor who can understand the requirements as a consultant and (if
you take his recomendations) you may get the ideal candidate. After
all, if you were only interested in the best technical writer you
would go for someone you had to pay more than $35K.

(This is the generic you, Andrew, not you personally. I know your
background.)

Cam Whetstone

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=