SUMMARY: Use of disabled

Subject: SUMMARY: Use of disabled
From: Chris Hamilton <caxdj -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 10:09:11 -0400

Thank you all for responding on this. The votes are in and the majority
of you don't see a problem with the use of the word "disabled." I
thought not, but I am often tone-deaf on such issues.

Here's the rundown:

11 don't think there's an issue
1 didn't seem upset but suggested an alternative
1 said that disable might not be a problem, but disabled might
1 was highly offended that I mentioned dying on a hill because his
Great Aunt Nellie once died on a hill for noble reasons that are beyond
reproach. I feel your pain. I'm gonna die someday, too, and that offends
me a great deal. I will, however, do my best to not die on a hill.

Finally, one person suggested that I might check with a group such as
the BC Coalition for People with Disabilities or the Neil Squire
Foundation.

Thanks again.

Chris

--