Re: Doing Save As (also: menu/operation references)

Subject: Re: Doing Save As (also: menu/operation references)
From: Lindsey Durway <LDurway -at- PAV -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:31:26 -0500

------response------

I realize you're not asking for comments on the first sentence, but
I'd like to suggest something: describe more precisely what "save task"
does. If someone clicks HELP for the Save task, they may in fact be
clueless as to the exact function of the operation and its relationship to
other operations. For example, the Close operation, if you have one, may
also allow the user to save a task, but the difference is that Close also
removes the task from their workspace (or whatever you call it).

As for the second sentence, it seems a little wordy & complicated.
Also, the reference to the dialog box is unnecessary: the dialog box is an
implementation detail of little intrinsic interest to the reader. What they
care about is this: if Save is the wrong operation, which is the right one?
Any discussion of the implementation of the Save As operation belongs in the
Save As help text, not in the Save help text. I suggest this:

"FILE, SAVE" HELP TEXT:
Writes the task to disk, leaving the task open in your workspace.
Use this operation only for tasks having names. If the task does not have a
name, use the File, Save As operation instead.

By the way, how do yall express operations in pull-down menus?
David uses a comma to separate menu name from operation name. I use a
greater-than: File > Save. I wonder if I should use a special font to set
off the menu/operation names. Does anyone have strong feelings & good
advice about menu/operation references?

Lindsey

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=