Re: Doing Save As

Subject: Re: Doing Save As
From: "Locke, David" <dlocke -at- BINDVIEW -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:56:07 -0500

Stephen said:

" somewhere(?) in your definition, I think it bears pointing out
that the
> PURPOSE of a "Save As" function is to save the task in operation (or
> output of that task) WITHOUT CHANGING THE ORIGINAL. This 'renaming'
> action is (one of) the main purposes of the SAVE AS function, at least
> in every app I've ever used."

Name it the first time it's saved, and rename it subsequently as
needed. So the tasks will be Naming the ..., and Rename the .... The "Save
As" menu option is just a feature. You will need to stress that naming and
renaming a task also saves the task. You should only include "saving" in the
task names if there is another way to name or rename a task without saving
it.

To save your task:
* If the Save option does not appear, name the task. Otherwise, click
Save.

Should we have to label our product packages with something like
"This UI does not conform to any known standard. This product may be
detrimental to you mental health." "Remember what you did. You will be
tested over it later." Or, "Forgetting is no excuse for not knowing. Users
of this application must be omnipotent"

Of course, they can always answer the phone with "Please CALL BACK
LATER. Our call queue if full, because we've been answering this one $ -at- !!
question all week. We appreciate your patience, and your support. If you are
a competent UI designers, please call our new Development VP at ...."

David W. Locke

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=