Re: How to Learn FrameMaker

Subject: Re: How to Learn FrameMaker
From: Cathy & Rick Arthur <rarthur -at- BOND -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 12:51:01 -0400

Hi Gail,
I have been learning Framemaker since March. I have a copy of Framemaker 3 (the price was right) and I have been teaching myself. I do not have a manual, but I do have the tutorial that came with it. That has been a good start.

I think the best way to learn is to have a large project to do. I have been designing and typing a community cookbook, which I will be including in my portfolio when I go looking for a job. This has forced me to learn many of the features. To learn how to bring files together as a book, generate a TOC and an index, I have been using Tom Neuburger's book 'Mastering Framemaker 5'. I love this book. The menu organization is somewhat different in 5, but I can figure it out from the explanations. I have it on loan from our local library while I try to locate a copy (It is out of print).

If you are looking for a manual to write while you learn Framemaker, you could ask at local social service agencies to see if they need a manual of sorts. Schools often need handbooks as well.

Cathy Arthur