Weird character in Word97

Subject: Weird character in Word97
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:46:08 -0400

Hi, guys...sorry for the "almost" off-topic post, but
I have a problem in Word97 that is causing me problems
that is putting me behind schedule.

I recently openned a couple of Word97 documents that
were fine this morning, that have a weird character in
the footer of the documents.

The character is a lower case y with two dots over it.
Whenever I get near that character, it instantly
freezes the document and I need to terminate it.

I know I used to be able to fix this bug, but it's
been so long since I used Word that I'm stumped.

I'm running Word 97, SR-2a, on Win98.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

John