Re: FW: HTML Help: Use of secondary windows & usability

Subject: Re: FW: HTML Help: Use of secondary windows & usability
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- POLYDOC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:50:45 +0200

Susana Rosenda wrote:

> Sue, my understanding is that RoboHTML doesn't use secondary windows,
> nons-crolling regions, or pop-ups.

Well, don't blame RoboHelp (or better Blue-Sky), because it's Microsoft's
HTML-help that doesn't support secondary windows. So no matter if you use
RoboHelp, Doc-to-Help, ForeHelp or any other HAT, you can't create
secondary windows. Perhaps in the future you can, but that's up to
Microsoft.
But, it is perfectly possible to create pop-up windows within HTML-help,
and you can create these with RoboHelp with just a click on a button. No
limitations there.

> I went to a seminar where the speaker
> suggested that writers NOT convert their existing RoboHelp Classic and
> RoboHELP 2000 projects to HTML for that very reason. He asked us to wait
for
> RoboHELP Version 8 before we attempt it.

Again, if Microsoft won't allow secondary windows in HTML-help, RoboHelp
won't be able to support this in version 8 either. At a help seminar I went
to last month, Blue-Sky representatives said they did not know what
Microsoft's plans for secondary windows were. So you'll just have to wait I
guess. On the other hand, html-help files created with RH 7 (without
secondary windows) look and operate very fine.

HTH

Jeroen Hendrix
PolyDoc
the Netherlands