Re: What is wrong with white space?

Subject: Re: What is wrong with white space?
From: William Swallow <WSWALLOW -at- COMMSOFT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 13:55:55 -0400

Most fonts these days are not set-width. The auto-kerning often
misrepresents a double-space after a period - the size of the spaces will
differ depending on the leading character of the next sentence.

The white space in this example:
blah.[][]W
will be different from this example:
blah.[][]I
and so on...

This is why the single-space is widely-adopted these days; it's cleaner. The
auto-kern allows for enough white space with only one space after a period.

Sure, the convention started in scientific documentation years ago and my
explanation is rather raw, but I don't think that this topic is worthy of a
lengthy discussion. I'm sure there's a Web site out there somewhere...

Bill Swallow
Technical Writer
Aptis
a subsidiary of Billing Concepts