Converting files from CATIA

Subject: Converting files from CATIA
From: Doreen Kephart <dkephart -at- PRAUSA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 16:49:46 -0400

I am looking for information on converting native CATIA (a sophisticated
computer aided design program favored by Chrysler and Boeing) files into a
format easily read by mainstream publishing and illustration software. A client
of mine is trying to solve this problem so they can pull automotive drawings
into technical manuals. They have two current solutions: convert to an IGES
format, which takes 15 hours per drawing to process ; or, purchasing a filtering
program such as Studio9 by Wavefront, which may have an initial purchase price
of 10-25k, plus an additional license per seat where it is used. Has anyone
else found a better way to handle this? The situation doesn't end with CATIA.
Because they also do work with GM and Ford, they also have to cope with
Unigraphics and SDRC-Ideas, respectively.

I subscribe to the digest version, so if you have questions, either write to me
offline, or please pardon the delay.

Doreen Kephart
PRA, Marine City, MI
810-765-1181 dkephart -at- prausa -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=