Re: Usage "types of car"

Subject: Re: Usage "types of car"
From: Kathi Jan Knill <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- TEMPLATE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:30:39 -0400

As your debate goes on, I suggest you stop to address whether you
are discussing more than one car of each type or just a single
car of each type. If the former, than the first is correct. If
the latter, it would be the second.

Other than that method of determination, there is a rule for
hyphenated or open compounds, and that is to "make plural by the
addition of the plural inflection to the element that is the
subject to the change in number." (Chicago Manual of Style, 14th
Edition). Which would suggest that your "feelings" are accurate
and the second version is correct.

Kathi Jan Knill
Sr. Technical Writer
Template Software
Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Template -dot- com
You have to do what you love to do,
not get stuck in that comfort zone of
a regular job. Life is not a dress rehearsal.
This is it.