Re: Reformat PDF for online info./don't replace WinHelp!

Subject: Re: Reformat PDF for online info./don't replace WinHelp!
From: Susana Rosende <SRosende -at- THEFUND -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 17:53:42 -0400

Hello Sean: Did I mention that my company did not justify the cost of
writing a manual in the first place? There is no manual for the application,
despite the clients' requests. (What do *they* know anyway? They're only
USERS, right?) There is only the training guide that accompanies the 2-day
training class, customer support, and the online help.

So far, nobody looks at the online help, the help desk is overworked, and
the users have asked for a book that my company does not find
cost-justifiable. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

My suggestion is to write the darn book, put it online to cut costs, and
make it thorough enough, with a step-by-step procedures section, so that we
don't need an online help at all, except for maybe a user-friendly
Frequently Asked Questions/Troubleshooting type of help.

However, I'm open to suggestions! As for your Utopia of Technical Writing
dream, we all must do something to get us through this often undervalued
career. Keep dreaming and hoping that tech writers are some day as valued as
the gods of the business world -- the developers/computer
analysts/engineers.

-Susana Rosende