Re: Do you reformat your paper doc for PDF?

Subject: Re: Do you reformat your paper doc for PDF?
From: Reinhard Jaehnig <REJ-D -at- BETASYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:43:38 +0200

The original question for this topic was "Do you reformat your paper doc
for PDF?"

The answer is: No, we don't.

- If we format the manual for the screen, it looks bad when customers print
it.
- If we format the manual for paper, it looks bad on the screen.
- And if we make two versions, we've got no one to do the extra work.

If your software supports this, by all means include bookmarks for the
table
of contents and hyperlinks for all cross-references. This is even more
important
if PDF manuals have two page numbering schemes, seqential Acrobat page
numbers and the page number printed on the page.

Acrobat 4 supports different page numbering sequences, so you can, for
example,
define no numbers for the title page, roman numerals for front matter, and
arabic
numerals for the rest of the document.

We do not pretend that our PDF manuals are an online help system.
But we appreciate the advantages of PDF when it comes to:
- delivering documentation updates fast
- cutting down not only on printing cost but also on weight
(a full set of 3-ring binders can be rather heavy)
- preserving the layout of the manual online and when printed
- providing cross-document searchability using an Acrobat Catalog index.

Reinhard Jaehnig

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=