Re: Question: X, Y stoppers

Subject: Re: Question: X, Y stoppers
From: Geoff Lane <geoff -at- GJCTECH -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 09:48:55 +0100

Nana Kato wrote:

> My question is as follows:
> Suppose there is a rectangular table with blocks on its right
> and front sides. These blocks are used for locating a tray
> on the front right corner of the table (against which a tray
> is fitted).
> The right-side block is parallel to the Y axis, the front-side block
> to the X axis. If I were to name these blocks using "X" or "Y"
> references, is the right-side block (parallel to the Y axis) called "Y
> block"
> or "X block"? Although the right-side block is aligned in the Y-axis
> direction, the purpose of this block is to determine the "X
> coordinate"
> of the tray. In this respect, it must be called "X block"???
> Or "X" or "Y" references may not be a good idea from the beginning???
---

Personally, I'd rather not use "X" and "Y" -- to me, these are vague terms
that border on slang (but, that is only my opinion).

For the block that determines the lateral position of the tray, I'd use
something like, "lateral stop". However, I can't think of an ideal term for
the other block. "Fore-and-aft" seems pretty good to me, but I have a
nautical background and I suspect that term isn't in common, civilian use.
About the only other term that I can (quickly) come up with is, "axial".
However, if you describe these blocks in an introductory paragraph, you
should be OK.

Then again, do you have access to the drawings and BOM? These should tell
you what the designer called the blocks and, thus, may answer your question.

HTH,

Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk